URBAN-X, the leading urban technology startup platform by MINI, today announced its thirteenth cohort of early-stage startups dedicated to advancing climate technology solutions, run in collaboration with JVP.
This new cohort represents a number of startups from across the country. Selected from a pool of over 160 applicants, the six startups are working on solutions in real estate development, mobility, and energy & carbon management to create more interconnected cities that improve quality of life for all.
The launch of this cohort coincides with the end of a record-breaking summer, where extreme heat waves, wildfires, and floods have underscored the urgent need to reshape our climate trajectory. Recognizing the significance of this challenge, URBAN-X is committed to fostering more sustainable, livable, and resilient cities by nurturing startups that offer impactful solutions.
“It’s clear, now more than ever, that the work climate tech founders and startups are doing is critical to the continued prosperity of cities in the midst of a climate crisis,” said Mike Peyton, President of MINI Business Innovations LLC, and Vice President of MINI of the Americas. “MINI is committed to driving positive change in urban environments, and we see no better way forward than through the work of the emerging startups URBAN-X is supporting.”
These six startups join a growing list of over 100 companies that have graduated from the URBAN-X program. More than 87 percent of startups raise their next round during or right after the program. Over the course of the four-month program, the startups will benefit from hands-on mentorship in areas such as customer engagement, product development, talent acquisition, and brand strategy. Each team will also have access to URBAN-X’s expansive network of world-class design, engineering, and branding experts from MINI, as well as office space in the Brooklyn Navy Yard.
“We are excited by the companies in Cohort 13 because they build on work we’ve supported in the past in new and innovative ways,” said Johan Schwind, Managing Director of URBAN-X. “These solutions will drive us towards a better, more resilient future, and we are dedicated to helping scale them just as climate innovations are needed most in cities in the U.S. and across the globe.”
The complete list of URBAN-X Cohort 13 companies includes:
- Algoma: Partnering with real estate developers to automate the repeatable delivery of zero-carbon buildings by leveraging AI
- HubOn: Offering the cheapest and most eco-friendly transport for goods by partnering with retail shops serving as drop-off and pickup locations
- Blip Energy: Unlocking energy equity by building a new category of smart, affordable energy storage to add millions of homes to the smart grid
- Upward: Collecting, storing, and analyzing building energy data to drive operational success and automate compliance
- Enspi: Bringing efficiency, sustainability, and profitability to modern energy management with a proprietary platform
- Vy-Carb: Performing real-time, autonomous removal, storage, and verification of CO2 in water with a fully-measured carbon management system
To celebrate climate innovation, URBAN-X will host a discussion about the future of mobility on September 18th as part of Climate Week NYC.