Established in 2020, the Carbon Technology Research Foundation (CTRF) aims to fund innovative solutions for carbon sequestration.
CTRF is a non-profit, philanthropic organization that is currently dedicated to growing the existing research knowledge pool in the field of carbon sequestration, while also proving the area’s vast potential in mitigating the climate crisis.
The organization is specifically interested in channeling funds toward the use of biotechnology for the development of scalable carbon dioxide removal (CDR) approaches that will help the world reach gigaton scale faster.
CTRF specializes in identifying promising research into CDR solutions that are rooted in natural systems, and right now, the organization is looking for its new Head of Research Programme. For more details about this position please click here.
CTRF is now seeking a Head of Research Programme to continue to develop its carbon removal research programme with universities and research institutions. This is a core position in the organisation, bringing scientific expertise and playing a significant role in implementing and evaluating the CTRF grant making strategy.
Working closely with the Scientific Advisory Council and CEO, you will ensure a transparent and rigorous process that enables CTRF to support high value research projects that contribute to tackling the climate emergency and deliver on CTRFs mission and goals. You will also manage relations with the principal investigators leading CTRF funded research.
CTRF is a new non-profit company with big ambition to tackle the climate emergency. As such, it is an exciting opportunity to make a positive difference. The role will adapt as we grow, so we are looking for someone who is versatile and willing to work at pace and is comfortable with the duties and responsibilities of this role potentially evolving in accordance with the development of the organisation.
- Work closely with the Scientific Advisory Council, especially the Chair (Dr. Surabi Menon, Executive Director, Partnerships, COP28 UAE) to ensure the research projects are of the highest quality and in line with CTRF priorities.
- Collaborate with the international scientific community focused on greenhouse gas removal and biotechnology to build appropriate research networks and share best practice and results.
- Build the profile of CTRF as an effective actor in the climate research community; working closely with the Head of Communications to ensure research projects and results are communicated to external stakeholders and media channels. Play a key role in the development and convening of a network of researchers and funders engaged in the application of biotechnology for greenhouse gas removal.
- Carry out or commission market research to ensure CTRF is contributing to research projects, that have significant potential to tackle the climate crises through the removal and/or reduction of greenhouse gases from the atmosphere through the application of biotechnology to natural systems.
- Prepare, market and disseminate calls for proposals and funding-related information to the right external networks, stakeholders and academic institutions.
- Provide advice and support to potential partner organisations and grant applicants in the research community.
- Manage and support the grants manager, who will complete tasks such as risk and feasibility assessments and due diligence on potential grantees (researchers).
- Strong academic research background (PhD highly desirable) in a scientific discipline, preferably with experience in a relevant research area to CTRF.
- Confidence and credibility to work with leading research experts in fields of CTRF interest (biotechnology and carbon removal/natural processes).
- Ability to network and effectively represent CTRF in the research community.
- Experience working with organisational governance, boards, committees, and external suppliers/partners.
- Experience working in research environments, with some experience of research grant making and management.
- Motivated self-starter with drive and ambition and an ability to generate momentum though working collaboratively with others.
- Proactive, flexible mindset with the ability to quickly adapt to the needs of an evolving organisation.
- Experience of being part of a collegiate leadership team with ambition and commitment. Willing to take risks and adopt learning approach.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills, ability to synthesise large amounts of information quickly and clearly.
- Fluency in spoken and written English.
- Knowledge of learning and evaluation best practice and systems.
- Experience of working in small organisations in an entrepreneurial setting.