Biochar Life, a public benefit company helping smallholder farmers remove CO2 via carbon sequestering biochar, announced the public launch of its crowdfunding campaign on Wefunder. The company is presenting a special investment opportunity: investors who contribute before the campaign reaches its initial milestone of $100k will be eligible for a 2x return on their investment. Once this milestone is achieved, the return rate will adjust to 1.75x.
Biochar Life is a venture founded in 2022 by Warm Heart Worldwide to facilitate poor, smallholder farmers’ access to the global carbon markets. The income from selling carbon removal credits helps farmers reduce poverty, increase healthcare while providing environmental benefits for the world.
The company teaches smallholder farmers to create biochar rather than burn their crop waste, certify the amount of carbon removed, providing them access to the global carbon market for verified carbon sequestration. The initiative also encourages other farmers not to burn their biomass.
According to Biochar Life’s announcement, the company has made significant progress in the last 12 months:
- Environmental Impact: The company has removed over 10,000 tonnes of CO2 from the atmosphere, marking a sizeable contribution to environmental health.
- Significant Revenue Growth: In the last year, Biochar Life has experienced a 5x increase in revenue, growing from $150,000 to $800,000.
- Empowering Smallholder Farmers: More than 750 smallholder farmers in Africa currently benefit from participating in Biochar Life’s program.
- Promoting Social Equality: Over 60% of farmer teams are female, highlighting the company’s commitment to increasing social equality in agriculture.
- Accreditation and Audits: Received accreditations and successfully passed audits in all countries, underscoring its commitment to transparency and operational excellence.
- Investment Milestone: In December 2023, Biochar Life secured a $150,000 investment from Ground Up Investing.
“Through this crowdfunding campaign, we are poised to enter an exciting phase of growth and community building… The support we receive will not only accelerate our mission in transforming agriculture and combating climate change but also enable us to build an extended community. This is about more than just funds; it’s about fostering a network of individuals and organizations passionate about making a real difference in the lives of smallholder farmers and our environment,” explained Mercy Ogembo, Kenya Country Manager for Biochar Life.
Biochar Life invites the public to invest in its mission to transform agriculture and fight climate change. People willing to participate in the crowdfunding campaign can visit https://wefunder.com/biochar.life for further information. “We welcome everyone to join us in this transformative journey. Together, we can create lasting change for both our planet and its inhabitants,” as stated in the company’s press release.
The company will also host an event in London on February 29th with Matt Rickard, COO of Biochar Life for those who want to learn more about the company’s impact and investment opportunities. The event has a limited seats of 20 attendees and will take place at Impact Hub, 34b York Wy, London, N1 9AB at 6pm.